Monday, August 24, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MUM !



When I was a little girl my mum was my unrivaled style icon. For me Brigitte Bardot and Catherine Deneuve were nothing compared to the glamorous aura I felt surrounded with when looking at my mother.

I remember the scent of her exquisite French perfumes, her elegant silk dresses, her amazing eye for art and design. I could just stand and watch her for hours.

One of the things I remember very vividly is that our home always looked very different to me compared to the homes of our friends. In fact, it was a relatively simple flat but stuffed with lots of amazing artwork. My mother could easily go for an IKEA table but would never compromise on the artwork she chose. Even in my own room I was never allowed to have ordinary posters on the walls (luckily, even as a teenager I never really had the desire to). Instead she would handpick and collect some beautiful oil paintings during her numerous travels to different corners of the world to let her little girl marvel at the beauty of light, shadow and colour in her small but inspiring room back home.

A few decades later my mum is still beautiful, sophisticated and, without doubt, the best cook in the world. There are many green and stylish things one can learn from her: How to create a glamorous and refined make-up, select the right painting, make a stunning flower arrangement or the best green pesto ever!

A lot of what I've grown up with has stayed with me over the years. Even today when I enter people's homes for the first time my initial instinct is to look at the walls, the second is to look at plants and flowers. Paintings & plants can tell a lot about a person, don't you think? Ah, and the food, of course!

So as for a perfect little birthday celebration my homemade pistachio-berry cake and a selection of my mom's freshly baked organic cookies, which are in fact little pieces of art in their own right, served with a cup of fine green tea in her almost translucent Lomonosov bone china, a bunch of fresh seasonal flowers from the market nicely arranged in a crystal vase and her warm, glowing smile would definitely be my perfect idea of a happy green and stylish birthday tea party.



Photos: GREEN & STYLISH

8 comments:

The Consummate Hostess said...

Wishing your oh so fabulous mother and very happy birthday!

Man said...

Classy and happy birthday people I never met.

David Toms said...

Wonderful that you have a mother you can admire and look up to!

Exquisite Accessories said...

Happy Belated birthday arn't mum's just the best ;)

GREEN AND STYLISH said...

Thank you everyone - yes indeed, mums are simply the best!

Couture Millinery Atelier. said...

You mother sound like a wonderful, talented person. And what a great daughter you are! I read this beautiful post and it reminded it of my own Mother who lives Ocean away in entirely different country. Wishing you Mom Happy Birthday:-)))

Dustjacket Attic said...

Oh that is so lovely, what a wonderful, beautiful and stylish mother you have!
xxx

Blissitydoodah said...

What a special mom!